Here I want to share some details about my first indie commercial game (you can play it here).
- It took me 8 months (starting July 2012) to create it and another one to sell it.
- I created half a meg of AS3 source code.
- I made everything by myself, including code, design and graphics.
- I used free sounds from the internet, and music from Kostya Dolgushyn
- I made one week prototype in C++, with my old engine Sculpture Clay 2
- I used Mercurial for version control
- Game folder on hard drive takes 1.5 GB, even though the game compiles to 2.7MB
- What you learn from this game is that triceraptops attacks its enemies by falling behind them from the sky.
What went right
1. Final game Quality
I really took time and effort to make as best game as possible. So it looks nice, is fun, original and polished (of course I’m not objective). What else one could want? Perhaps that other people would react to it positively and like playing :)
Indeed I did a lot of tests in real life, with people from different backgrounds: hardcore players, casual players, and no-players. Over 95% speak about the game positively. You can see the (almost) full list of testers and feedback givers in game credits.
I was doing those tests from the very beginning. As soon as I had a first working prototype in Flash, Read More…